Monday, 15 September 2008

The first and last day of summer.

This Saturday I returned to Edale with James (Top Lad) and we went for a wander up Grinds Brook. We set off pretty late and got about 2/3 of the way to the summit before turning around.
The original plan was to go up Grinds brook and back down the path near Crowden Clough, but in traditional family style we arrived late, and upon pitching the tent, the sun came out and we had the first (and last day of summer). Making us immobile for about an hour, just eating some sarnies and soaking up the rays..
By the time we’d got moving, it was quite late in the day, so we just took map, compass, waterproofs and small water bladder.
The walk was great and the weather was amazing. We followed the brook as far as we could and then went up the side until getting to the path, as it passed through the woods then along the path, into the park and over the small wooden footbridge. We did use the map a few times, but mostly to show Jim some rudimentary compass/map skills. Later we went down to the riverbed and scrambled up there for a distance. Sun on our backs, water all around and because it was late, the hill to ourselves. Perfect!

I had planned for us to walk for another 30 mins or so, but we encountered a sudden rush of walkers coming the other way.. Common sense prevailed - bow to the more experienced and so we turned around and went down before we ran out of direct light. In total we were walking for about 2 hrs.
We arrived back at the Nag's and had a couple of jars before going back to the tent to make our evening meal (sainsburys Thai green curry with ready to wok noodles.. V. Nice, I recommend to anybody camping. Just heat the sachet of sauce and take off the heat, add noodles and allow to warm through. Jim's idea - total winner).
Jim has never been to Edale before and so we went to both the Ramblers and back to the Nag's head. Due to this, late supper did not go quite to plan.. Some very nice dehydrated mushroom pasta was served to the god of drunken clumsiness.. Although a pain to clear up properly, we were laughing uncontrollably for about 1/2 hour after giving that final high point to a great day.